Friday 19 January 2018

Why I Cancelled My Birchbox Subscription


There is something exciting about having a box of treats arrive at your door each month, where the contents are unknown. 

It's something to look forward to every month, and with regarding to beauty box subscriptions; if you love beauty products, this is a great way to discover new brands and items each month.

This was the selling point for me with Birchbox. I really loved the feeling of having a box of unknown contents arrive at my front door every month. But every month without a doubt I would be let down.

A BOX TAILORED TOWARDS ME?

I've in fact tried Birchbox twice. Once around 2013, and again in 2016. What won me around again for the second time was that from pictures I saw on social media, it looked like the contents of the box had dramatically improved since then. But in fact I look at this now, and pretty much every item being a sample, you could probably get in a magazine, or as a freebie from a beauty website when making an order. The contents were never tailored towards me, I got a bit sick of receiving hair care products - something I already stated on my bio that I wasn't interested in. 

FULL SIZE ITEMS?

Even the times we were promised full size items, a few times I felt we were cheated into believing these items were 'full size £20 + items' or whatever it was they were claiming. When they were clearly NOT. I was astonished to see that when I had received these items, you only had to go online and see that pretty much every other person was claiming the same thing. Still, Birchbox never owned up to this. I mean why would they? They already pissed off a bunch of customers.

BIRCHBOX POINTS?

The thing that sealed the deal on this the most was the Birxhbox points system. Every month, by filling in reviews on the items you had in your box you would gain more than £5 worth of Birchbox shop point; thats almost HALF of what you payed already for your monthly box. Which meant every 2 months or so you'd be gifted with a £10 voucher to spend on their online store. This for me made it worth. Unfortunately, they decided to scrap this idea, by giving us 'better' loyalties. What..free shipping if we buy something thats featured that month? Hmmm...


CUTE STORAGE? 

Sure! You get a cute little box every month, the packaging is great! I will give them that... but that novelty wore out for me quicker than I thought. They make good storage for a few pens, but you soon realise that you can't actually fit that much into them.. and they for me started to look cluttered.. they don't even match and that annoys me. Nor do they go with the kind of decor I am personally attracted to.

AN ALTERNATIVE (FOR ME)

I've found a subscription box now thats more tailored to myself which I feature on here every month. So far, the contents have been worth the money - even if it is a little more pricey, you get quality and quantity! I actually use the contents of these boxes, and not just the odd thing here and there. I have a massive stash of Birchbox supplies which I am either a) probably never going to use, or b) use them as stocking fillers at some point. 


I am certain that Birxbox will tailor to some peoples needs, but for myself; it just wasn't 'the one'.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment