Sunday 26 June 2016

Learning to Unwind




I must admit, I'm not the greatest at chilling out and relaxing. Once my mind decides to go on a tangent it's pretty hard for me to stop. I have in recent months been trying to discover ways that I can help myself ease these moments. Admittedly, sometimes it is easier said than done, and sometimes it is harder than others. Everyone is different though, and everyone will find ways to make themselves happy and calm, even if it's just for a moment. 

I thought i'd put together a list on a few things I find help me, it's about trial and error, and finding what helps you best. 

The Outside
If you are like me, sometimes you may find it difficult to go outside, whether it be for the day, or just a walk to your local shop. Or perhaps sometimes even coming out of your room and interacting with people can be a struggle, it can be tiring. 

I have recently been trying to get myself out more, even if its just for a half an hour walk, even if I am begging myself not to. I'm still not perfect at it, there are still times when I really can't, no matter how much I want to, but I'm slowly getting better at it. And you know what? On those days I do manage to push myself out the front door, or even smile at a stranger, or do the most simplest thing, I feel proud of myself and I feel better for it. There is nothing wrong with feeling a sense of achievement for the smallest things. Sometimes a slight breath of fresh air can do a world of good.

Reading
For me, this can sometimes be great, and other times I might as well not even bother. I love reading comics and graphic novels more than I do books. This is mainly because I love looking at the different styles of artwork, whilst I read and I find them more engaging. 

However, sometimes I find it very difficult to concentrate, so this technique doesn't always work for me. When I may be having a rough day, I find that I can be reading, and about 5 minutes later realise I have no idea what I have just read. It's like I read the words but it doesn't actually sink in. Personally I have to be 100 percent in the mood to read, it's just one of those things.

Music
This is the main cure for anything and I am sure a lot of you will agree. There is nothing more perfect than switching on some of your favourite music, and forgetting that the world outside of your little bubble does not exist. All your problems and worries can be temporarily forgotten.

This is why I love going to gigs so much, because sometimes you can find comfort in the words other people are saying or singing. Sometimes It's comforting to reinterpret someone else's words into your own, like 'hey, i'm not the only one who feels this way' or 'hey, i'm not so weird after all'. Or even if you just want a singalong. Singing in my own little world helps me too, no matter how good or badly. 

Exercise
You hear this from everyone, and I still need to listen to this one myself. Because I don't really get any exercise, and by exercise that doesn't mean walking in this case, you have to get your heart rate pumping to realise feel good vibes. 

I'm planning on taking up some kind of club soon. I always found dancing and aerobics fun, so this is probably something I am going to look into. But you could always go for a run around your community, which is something else I'm planning on doing. 

Treating Yourself
I wouldn't recommend this all the time because it could become an expensive addiction. If you're feeling a bit blue, anxious, stressed, as long as it is not about money, why not treat yourself to something. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. And it's always nice to have the excitement of the post mans arrival bringing yourself a little non-birthday gift. It doesn't have to be expensive, it could even be something as silly as your favourite drink or favourite treat!

Cuddling
People should cuddle more, it is by no means a myth when they say that cuddling can help relieve and reduce stress and anxiety. I have a hamster, and although I think my hamster is quite un-normal as he likes to sit still on my lap and be petted, I find it strangely therapeutic. You can also call me strange, but I consider myself to be a modern age Doctor Dolittle as I talk to him a lot, you know as if he can understand me. 

Being Creative
I consider myself to have been blessed with creative genes, this is my idea of fun. Give me a trip to Hobbycraft or the baking isle in Asda rather than a night out clubbing any day. I find it satisfying to have an idea and then being rewarded at the end by having some kind of finished product. 

So the other day I decided to make 'gothic biscuits', I by hand cut out shapes or stars and moons and then decorated them with edible glitter and icing. They didn't turn out great unfortunately, but I had fun and for that few hours my mind was fully dedicated to that.

There are tones of things you can make out there, all it takes is a quick search on the web, or be inventive! Come up with something yourself! That's what I love about it. 

That's what started me writing this blog. Writing is a hobby of mine. Writing on this blog has given me something to dedicate my time to and have my mind focus on something. It is becoming a great distraction, and I am definitely going to keep it up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment