Monday 20 June 2016

Funeral For A Friend - Last Shows

This is a more personal post rather than a review. A few weeks ago marked Funeral For A Friend's last ever shows on 20th & 21st May. I can honestly say how lucky I feel personally to have been one of those faces in the crowd, on not just one of the dates, but both.

I, like many other Funeral fans have been a fan since the start. Through my school days they were a big part of my life, they were the band that got me into the music I love and know today.


I am also lucky to say this wasn't my first experience seeing them, I'm glad that I got to see them through many stages of their career. My first encounter was in 2008, at my favourite venue of all time, the Birmingham Carling Academy - god, I miss that place, so many memories. That for me was special, because I never had the money to go to shows, and as I had my first job by then, I got to enjoy more things I loved.

Anyways, those two nights at the Forum in May, were the most special shows I have ever been to, probably the most special I will ever go to. I went to the Hours tour in 2014, but I never got to see Casually Dressed performed in full, because of lack of money, so I was even more excited for the 2nd night, it's one of my favourite albums of all time. 

One of the most memorable things from both nights that I noticed, was how loudly the crowd was singing. I have never been to a show, where the crowd has sung THAT loud. I discussed this was my partner afterwards, and when we went to get Kerrang to read what Matt had to say about it, it was interesting to read that said the exact same thing, which just confirms it really.

During the last song, which if you were there you would know they sung History, I tried very hard to hold back the tears, but that was impossible, but to look around and see other fans shredding a tear too, was somewhat comforting. Then when Matt started letting them flow too, that was it, I was done for, it wasn't so much crying anymore, I was destroyed haha.


The most beautiful part of the whole two shows, was the last few minutes after the last song had finished, whilst everyone was soaked in their own tears, the way the crowd all sung back the chorus of History over and over, whilst Funeral looked back at us, and whilst we all saluted into the air. It just goes to show what music really does to people. How everyone in some way formed together that night, we were all there for the same thing, we were all feeling the same emotions, and that in itself is magical.

I don't have any pictures or video's of my own from that night, I was honestly too busy taking in the whole experience. And one thing I noticed also, was the lack of cameras being thrusted in the air, I must have only witnessed the odd one or two, which seems to be a thing at gigs these days. It was amazing to look around the room, and see thousands of loyal fans, lost in the moment. Something I will never forget.

Here is a video from back in 2014 I recorded of their Hours Tour in Islington.



RIP Funeral For A Friend, you will be missed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment