Friday 8 July 2016

Friday Favourites - The Amity Affliction - Severed Ties

I'd say this is a more special favourites post, as it's not something i've so much been listening to for just the past week, but instead an all time favourite. 

If someone was to make me choose one album to listen to for the rest of my life, I would instantly reply with Severed Ties by The Amity Affliction. Let me tell you why..

In 2008 I stumbled across this little Australian band from Brisbane, by attending a show on their UK tour. I was instantly blown away. Something about them at the time reminded me of Atreyu, and that was fine by me, I was always a big Atreyu fan. 

I loved the energy they had. Back then Troy, Trad and Clint, were all still part of the band. They included my favourite instrument in metal music - keyboard, and I fell in love. You can say I was pretty devastated when Trad eventually left the band, goodbye keyboard. 

I went home that night, and I dived straight onto their MySpace. From that moment on, I listened to that album and post Severed Ties every single day, without fail.

There was just something about this album that grabbed me and in a sense it never let me go. I loved the lyrics, around that time they really spoke to me, and I guess that has always stayed with me. My inner angry teenage self is hidden within this album. My Severed Ties vinyl, is now one of my most pride possessions, and I think the album artwork for this album is awesome.

Besides the lyrics and sound of this album, it has a pretty neat list of guest vocals such as Crafter of Confession features on Jesse Intense and JJ Peters of Deez Nuts in Stairway To Hell (The breakdown in this song is insane). There are a lot so for a full list it's best to check out yourself!

If you haven't listened to this album, listen to it in full, from start to finish. I could name a few songs that always stuck out for me, but I honestly love the whole masterpiece. The Blair Snitch Project was one of them songs that when I learnt word for word, I felt like i'd accomplished something just from the pure mayhem of the lyrics. B.D.K.I.A.F (Big Dick Know It All Fuck) was purely a favourite for it's angry-ness. 

It seems a shame that If i'm honest, I can't get into their most recent albums as much as I did High Hopes, Glory Days, Severed Ties and Youngbloods. To me they were different and unique, where as I get a little tired of the same similar sound of their newer songs. I know that plenty of people will disagree, and that's absolutely fine, this of course is only my personal preference and opinion. 

I've been lucky to see them a number of times over the years, (2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, and 2015), so at various stages of their progression as a band, and I've watched them grow. It's amazing to see that the small band I once fell in love with, has now touched so many other people. They still pack that same amount on energy and clearly love what they do.

This was also the album that got me hooked on Australian music, as it opened a door for me to discover the likes of Dream on Dreamer, Confession and Parkway Drive. For that I only have Amity to thank. 



What's your favourite Amity album? What was the album or song that got you into them? :) 

x

No comments:

Post a Comment