Saturday 5 January 2019

Smashbox // Cover Shot Metal Petal Palette




I've been a pretty lucky girl lately with the blessing of not one, but two new palettes, the Smashbox Cover Shot Palette in Metal Petal being one of them. I have had my eye on this for quite some time, and decided to cash out my Boots points and finally invest in it. 


I had never actually seen this palette in the flesh before; the only images I had to go by were some I found on Google, so it was pretty much me going in blind. First thoughts? If were being honest, I was pretty shocked at the packaging upon first glance. It came in a flimsy little cardboard box, which had a window on the front so you could see the whole front of the palette. I don't know if there is anyone else who thought this (let me know if you have one of the Smashbox Cover Shot Palettes, and you did), but to me it instantly looked cheap and 'tacky' - not something you'd expect from a high end palette. 

Because the packaging had a window, with no protective seal the holographic image on the front on the actual palette came all scratched. I was a bit disappointed in this. I like to keep my palettes looking fresh and cute. Nevermind, we can look past that.



As you can see the colour theme is a beautiful array of pinks - shimmers and mattes. I like to have a mixture of different finishes when it comes to picking a palette. However, I am a major fan of metallics and shimmers, so the fact that the majority of this palette was just that, was great by me! And I absolutely love shimmers. I kind of feel like the last brown shade didn't need to be there though, I already have WAY too many of them. Perhaps if it was replaced with another dark toned pink; I feel like that would have complimented the theme of the palette more?


So what are the pros? Because of the shade range, this would be great for both day and night looks; it's very versatile. The colours blend so well together and you can mix and match them up, to create several different looks; every colour works well together. 

A for staying power, this stayed put and in place all day, and as you can see from the pictures, they are very pigmented. I really didn't have to use a lot of product, or 'build up coverage', because it was already there; which makes it seem silly to complain about a bit of flimsy packaging! 




No comments:

Post a Comment