Monday 27 November 2017

Gideon - Cold

I'm going to put it out there. This girl, right here, is a bit of a mellon. I spent all day thinking about what albums would be in my ultimate list of 2017, when the album I have been listening to the most lately completely slipped my mind. So for the record, Gideon, Cold, would be up there in my top 10.

You see I hadn't really took the time out to listen to Gideon, until earlier this year. They had always been a band i'd heard about, and listen to no more than a song or two, but for some reason it took me up until them being announced as support for In Hearts Wake on their UK stretch this year, for me to sit and appreciate them.

So by now I think I can consider myself a Gideon fan. Of course this journey started off with me listening to their most recent record, Cold. 

One of the first things I noticed from reading the track list was there was a few familiar faces featured in this album. With guest vocals from Jamey Jasta of Hatebreed, Caleb Shomo of Beartooth AND Bryan Garris of Knocked Loose, it would be wrong to say that this did not instantly make me intrigued. You know what I loved about the use of guest vocals in this album, is that the feel I get is that they weren't just added to the album for the sake of things, they weren't just their for the sake of big names. I feel like they actually contributed in a way that their parts compliment the tracks that they appear on.

And what about the first track, Champions, let's talk about that, because i'm a strong believer in that the first track plays a big part in an album. It's the first song you're going to hear, it's going to set your expectations for the rest of the album. Champions is a great choice of an intro for this album. The opening riff builds anticipation before the song has even started, and before you know it you're moshing along in your living room. 

Cursed is just as much as a culprit for this. After hearing this just once, you're going to be waiting for the next time, ready to shout "CURSED!". But I think it has to be said that from the entire album, I have a favourite song; Pulling Teeth. If you listen at about 2 and a half minutes in, you will see why. But that's just my own personal pleasure! 

I love The Ghost Inside feel that Gideon has to them. In fact, they are probably the closest thing I have found to TGI in a while. Both the vocals and the music suggest this. I still find though that they are not an exact carbon copy to TGI, they as a band still feel fresh enough to have their own personality. It's fresh and it's not tiresome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment