Saturday 27 May 2017

Slam Dunk Festival // Favourite Moments

With Slam Dunk Festival Weekend around the corner, I thought i'd do a post to celebrate what is (usually) the best weekend of the year.


Unfortunately, for the first time in 6 years, I'm not attending this year, and now it's got closer, I'm actually a feeling bit gutted. The line up this year didn't really tick enough boxes for me. If it had been any other year I would have gone despite that, but we decided that the money we spent on SD, could go towards a holiday instead. 




It's all about preference when it comes to bands (of course!), but there are a few that I'm a little sad about. Enter Shikari playing Take To The Skies in full, Casey - who we went to see live once before but the show started earlier than thought, we we missed them, Like Pacific - never seen, and my favourites - Ocean Grove (though I will be seeing them on their first UK headline show - stay tuned for a post on that!). You know what, the younger child in me is also wishing I got to saw Madina Lake, what previous emo kid WOULDN'T want to take a dive back to ML days.


So with that introduction out the way, I thought I'd give a list of: 

My Favourite Slam Dunk Moments
(In no particular order)



8) The Word Alive - 2012 Wall of Death

Funnily enough, this was actually the year of 2012, but in the title I meant the song. It was my second TWA experience, so I'm quite familiar with their wall of deaths during 2012. At the time they were one of my favourite bands, and I just remember the moment of intense excitement during that moment. This still stands to this day as being one of my favourite breakdowns ever.



7) 2012 As A Whole

Whilst we are of the subject of SD2012, I think a favourite would have to that year as a whole. I do love Slam Dunk - the atmosphere, the people, everything about it, but I do miss it when it was a lot smaller. A lot of my favourite moments are going to be from this year, so I don't want to spoil this post by mentioning them all here. Read on. 


6) Jonathan Vigil Waving His Baguette

This for me is a more personal comical moment. In 2014 The Ghost Inside was on the line up. It was a year, back in the day when I would indulge in a little drink (if you know what I mean), waiting in line for the afterparty a little friend called Jonathan Vigil walks by, something inside me decided to shout "Hello Jonathan" as loudly as I could, who was chomping down on his dinner, the response I got was he waved his baguette back. I know this doesn't sound that funny, but at the time it was bloody hilarious.

5) Set Your Goals - 2016

One from last year. The return of SYG. As a Slam Dunk Favourite, and one who return year after year, we were all sad when SYG decided to take a break. But last year they announced their return, and this was their first UK show since their hiatus. So that in itself was pretty special. And I for one, had missed them.

4) Slam Dunk VIP Afterparty

2012 again. My friend at the time was good friends with a band who played that year, so one of the members in that band took us through to backstage where all the bands and crew hang out and party and it was just an awesome experience. Something i've never done before, or had the opportunity to. We never spoke to anyone but we just blended in, as if we were supposed to be there. 


3) Reel Big Fish 2011 - first ska band experience

Okay, I lied, not my first experience of seeing a ska band, but my first real hands on experience. I loved how the crowd and band interacted together, and it felt like one big happy family just grooving around and dancing together, it definitely is a different kind of experience from other genres, but I loved it. I knew next to nothing songs, and I was never really a RBF fan, but I had more fun during their set than I did from some of the bands I actually went to see 


2) Jonny Craig Moment 

In 2011 (or around then), Dance Gavin Dance saw the return of Jonny Craig, quite the character i'm sure you are all aware. There was that whole episode at the time we won't speak of. Despite him being a 'character', I went through me early teens listening to DGD, and had never saw them before. 

Still as a teen, him grabbing my hand during a song to hold him up was again, an awesome moment. But at the end of the day, I saw him hanging about outside, so I plucked up the confidence to go say hello and ask for a picture. I asked, and he looked at me and turned away. This was probably one of the most awkward and uncomfortable things I have ever experienced at a show. I just stood there for what seemed like a life time, with my friends and we were shocked at how rude he was. Eventually he turned around, said nothing took a picture, and turned around again. Again, I will stand by him being a "character".

1) Austin Carlile Moment

2012 how I loved you. Of Mice & Men played this year for the first time, I had never seen them before - it's always even more exciting when you're seeing a band who you've listened to for so long, for the first time. 

Again, towards the end of the day, we were by the merch and who only do we see walking by in the distance - Austin Carlile. Now, I'm not one to run after band members screaming, but this time was an exception due to comedy purposes. It was like something out of a movie. One of my friends who was a guy, and obsessed with OM&M, looked at me, looked at Austin, looked at me again, and at the same time without saying anything, we both ran after him "AUSTIN!" hahaha. 

We caught up with him, we got a picture, but he said he had to go get back to their bus, cause they were leaving (or something. Little did he know this was the year we got a tour at the VIP afterparty, and I saw him hanging back their. Basically, he lied.  


I hope all of you Slam Dunkers have a fantastic weekend! Let me know what bands you're most excited to see, or your favourite moments!

Melanie x


No comments:

Post a Comment