Monday 6 February 2017

Ocean Grove - The Rhapsody Tapes

Earlier this week Ocean Grove finally released the album that I personally had been eagerly awaiting; The Rhapsody Tapes. From what was relatively a small band from Melbourne, Australia, it seems like these guys are slowly becoming more talked about, and I think It's fair to say that this album could be their ticket to the recognition they so truly deserved.

Perhaps, they could have stuck to their 'roots' and kept to their original sound, but by taking a leap and using this album as an experiment, it has really payed off. The amount of how hard work they have put into every aspect of the album, is quite clear.

I think if we were going to sum up the entire of The Rhapsody Tapes in one word it would be unique. Unique because it had been a very long time that I have heard anything like it, not since I were in my early teens at least. Though there are quite clearly some Nu Metal vibes in this album, with the influences of KoRn and Limp Bizkit, and a dash of Deftones shining through. They surely do not sound like any other band around today - at the moment however. Perhaps they are setting the bar for the comeback of Nu Metal? As a result of that and their experimentation in this album, I think they could very well be setting an example to upcoming bands, who started off just like themselves. 

We are given our fair share of both aggressive vocals amongst the softer, along with the catchy guitar rifts, psychedelic effects and electronic, and it works. I will say that track 5; The Wrong Way, has become a sort of anthem for me. I love how the song starts quite and relaxed, into becoming something you can really pelt out the lyrics to, which quite a lot of the songs on this album do. 

This album for me has been on complete repeat for the past few days. On a whole, the album flows perfectly. It's not an album where all songs sound similar, each song has their own sound and stands out from the rest. I honestly think this is just the beginning for these guys and were just waiting for the day that they blow up and especially the day when they land across the seas to us here in the UK. 

No comments:

Post a Comment