Thursday 1 September 2016

Truth of My Youth

We all have those special places growing up, places that will remind us of our youth and bring back magical memories. If I was to choose one place that pretty much sums up those wonder years, it would be The Carling Academy, Birmingham.

Though it is no longer standing, I will never forget those precious times spent there, which between the ages of 15 and 17, seemed so very far from home, although not far up the road, seemed like the most adventurous road trip ever - every time.

It wasn't just the shows that I went to at the Carling Academy, it was the whole experience with a group of friends who made that time of my life, just that bit more special. Though the bands I saw were pretty cool. 

Funeral For A Friend. 2008.
The best quality picture from then, you're going to get from a camera phone.

It was the place where I first saw Funeral For A Friend, after years of waiting to see them, but never being able to because I was too young before (my parents were quite the worriers), it was the first place I saw New Found Glory, which still to this day is one of my all time favourite gigs I have ever been lucky enough to go to. The 2008 Easycore tour - with New Found Glory, Four Year Strong, Set Your Goals and Crime In Stereo - what a line up. Some of the few bands I still love and go see today.

Funeral For A Friend - 2008.

Whether it be our friend from Kettering, driving all the way down to pick us up, or whether it be getting the train, the travelling was always exciting. We were never a bunch of kids who wanted to experiment with drink, we never did, we were just a bunch of kids who wanted to explore away from our hometown.  

Birmingham in general also holds a strong place in my teenage memories. It was THE place to go for us, something drew us to it. Then there is the Birmingham Barfly - Where we first saw A Day To Remember, where Tom Denney was still a part of the band. A small sweaty venue, with a bunch of kids where it felt like a family, you don't feel that at gigs so much these days, people are more interested in their camera phones. Waiting to go in we all sat on the pavement outside, where the members of A Day To Remember, Alesana and The Devil Wears Prada all came out to say hello and thank us for coming to the show. As a kid, that was the coolest thing ever.

A Day To Remember. Birmingham Barfly June 2008.
Great quality camera phone picture
Amongst all this, there is something about taking a drive somewhere out of town with a group of friends, that felt so refreshing. And even though we were doing nothing wrong, it felt rebellious, no parents, a can of Rockstar and the road, that's all we needed. The most rebellious it got with road trips was the time I asked to go on a day trip to Wales with my friends, I wasn't allowed. I told them I was going to a gig and hanging out with my friend Tash for the day, I went anyway, I was shitting myself - we will save that story for another time.

These friends who I spent those years with, I will never forget. Some of which are my best friends still, and I know will be for life. These memories and these people are things I will always treasure. Of course, I have had more amazing memories into the life of adulthood, and there are still a heck of a lot more to come. But places like The Carling Academy to me are very special.

No comments:

Post a Comment