Friday 27 October 2017

In Hearts Wake // Birmingham Asylum // 06.10.2016

It's only been about 6 years since I first started listening to In Hearts Wake, and a band I've always missed out on seeing for one reason or another. They are on of my favourite bands, and one of which unlike many, I've never really 'grown out' of, like I have many other bands that I started listening to around the same time. So this was pretty exciting for me.

I'm gutted I missed Gideon, but I've only recently started listening to them, the more I do the more I'm becoming a fan. Sound wise, I love the Ghost Inside feel they have to them? It's annoying when you enter the room and a band is LITERALLY just finishing; anyways, I only have myself to blame.

In Hearts Wake did not disappoint, they lived up to every expectation I had of them. What makes me sad is the fact I've missed out on so many years where I could have gone and supported them; even if they were a support band. I failed you IHW, and for that I am sorry haha. One of the main points to mention here, was how damn tight they sounded live, and I'm talking so good that if you had your eyes closed you would think you're listening to them on an album. 

I think for a band to sound almost identical to what they do on a CD, is pretty special. 

I also praise them for playing a selection of songs. If there's one thing that grinds my gears, it's when a band starts forgetting about their oldest material. And I know there will be reasons for some bands who do this, but I don't think that's really an excuse. They played a mixture of both old and new, and in this case the new was just as good live as the old. 

Last but not least, aside from what you normally expect for a gig; sound, setlist, etc, you could tell that they actually enjoyed it themselves. I think that's a big thing too, they are a band who aren't afraid to have fun. I'm talking crowd surfing on a rubber dingy during Survival and playing 'Capture the Flag' sort of fun. This is what makes these guys special as a band, and I know for a fact that their journey has only just begun.

Roll on the next tour, let's hope they don't make us wait too long for another!

x











No comments:

Post a Comment