Wednesday 14 June 2017

Homesick For a Place You've Not Ventured

I'm not a religious person by all means, but one thing that has always fascinated me is the idea of people having a past life and the prospect of reincarnation. This is something I would quite like to believe in.

I'm quite spiritual when it comes to things like this. I don't just believe that there is 'nothing else out there', I believe that it's ignorant to the idea that there completely isn't. I'm quite into my ghost hunting and forever watching documentaries and Ghost Adventures, I've had a few experiences myself. Some things's just can't be explained, even by science. 

Have you ever had a moment and felt like you've been there before? Or perhaps even felt like you've been somewhere before, you know for a fact you haven't, but when something feels so familiar it makes you question yourself? This is what I feel like when I think of Australia.


From a young age I've always has a fascination with Australia as a whole. From a young age I made a friend from Australia who after a while flew back, she was me penpal for a while. I then had a supply teacher who was temporarily in the UK, he got us to have penpals with his students back down under. I grew up trying to find out more about the place, and for some reason have always been drawn to Brisbane. 

When I was about 15 I met my best friend, he also had a fascination with the country, this was one of the first things we bonded over which looking back now, is pretty cool. We one summer planned to make a trip over there, but I had to quit my job at the time and started College was this dream never became a reality. 

In my teen years, I started to listen to more Australian bands. I don't even remember how this came about, but I decided that Australia has some of the best Metal and Hardcore bands, which I still listen to now. I started listening to Short Fast Loud, and that became like a ritual every Wednesday and was one of my favourite parts of the week.

I feel like where I am now, there's too much concrete. I feel like I'd be at more peace surrounded by greenery, forests, sea, the beauty of the natural world. I have always loved the carefree attitude of the Australians I've met and spoke to, their humour and the way the majority of them like to do good for the world and take care of the land that surrounds them. 

I recently saw In Hearts Wake doing an event where they went around beaches and collected rubbish with their fans. I so wished I could have been a part of that. This really inspired me. 

I don't really think it's all that crazy. It's a strange one, I know this is technically home, but it doesn't always feel like I belong here. As if my spirt belongs somewhere else, and whenever I think about Australia the only way I can describe it is as if I'm homesick for the place. Like I'm longing to go back there. Which is where it becomes strange because I've never actually set foot there. 

I believe though that just because you are in one place, doesn't actually mean you belong there. And if you think about it, that's a fantastic way to strive for more, to achieve dreams. I know I will make it there one day. I'm thirsty for it.

x


No comments:

Post a Comment